Extreme Weather Warning
We are in unprecedented circumstances as we approach the next two days with an Extreme Red weather alert in our area. The temperatures currently predicted outside are 35 and 37 degrees on Monday and Tuesday. We can not fully predict how cool we will be able to keep the building. If we feel the temperature has become unsafe in school we will have to close and send children home.
If you are concerned about sending your child to school on either of these days, please keep them home and be assured that non-attendance WILL BE authorised due to exceptional circumstances.
Looking at the guidance it is clear that we are taking the following steps to manage the risks associated with extreme heat.
- We will be keeping children inside during the hottest parts of the day this is likely to be from 10am-3pm and no children will be allowed to access the astroturf areas
- Not involve children in any strenuous physical activities
- We have relaxed our approach to uniform – please only send children in lightweight T-shirts and shorts. Please do not allow young people to arrive in school with coats, jumpers, hoodies or jackets. IF students arrive in layers of clothes they will be asked to remove them.
- Use of weighted blankets or comfort blankets will not be allowed.
- We will ensure water is readily available. Feel free to bring extra water bottles.
- We have small air conditioned spaces available to allow children to cool down. These are not classroom areas, but can be used for a small number of children temporarily if students feel uncomfortable
Some closures may occur as a result of staffing absence. This will be clearly communicated with families where this is the case.
If your child struggles to regulate or manage in heat please consider if it is appropriate for them to come to school given the information above.
We will be making dynamic risk assessments throughout the day. Please be prepared if necessary for children to return home due to closure or decisions taken to avoid any dangerous situations.
If you take the decision to keep your child at home please contact one of the three emails below or phone school so that all transport arrangements can be managed.
If a member of our team contacted you on Friday to discuss arrangements for your child based on their individual risk assessments, these arrangements will remain in place, you DO NOT need to contact school.
We thank you ahead of time for your cooperation in helping to manage this unprecedented health and safety emergency,
Associate Principals Springwell Academy Leeds