Useful information and links for Parents and Carers
General Support for Parents/Carers:
www.home-startleeds.co.uk Offers advice, support and will signpost
www.relate.org.uk Relate offers live online chats with counsellors
Mental Health Support, Information and Advice for Adults and Parents/Carers:
Key websites to access
- We are pleased to announce that Springwell Leeds, through Wellspring Academy Trust are able to offer support to parents/carers through this difficult time by providing free access to Mindspace counselling services. For full details of how to access this free service, click here.
Mental Health Support for Children and Young people
- Teen Connect (13-18 years). Teen Connect is a helpline for Leeds based, 13-18 year olds who are in crisis. Open 6 pm – 2 am every night of the year. Call, go online for support or send a text 0771 566 1559
- Kooth online counselling and emotional wellbeing service.
Kooth online counselling is a free, safe and anonymous service for 10-18 year olds where young people can chat 1-2-1 with counsellors, access self-help articles 24/7 and connect with peers through live moderated forums. https://kooth.com/
- Support for Adolescents through Covid-19 Anxiety https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/anxiety-ocd-and-phobias/how-to-deal-with-corona-anxiety-35761.html
Please note support for mental health for the young people and introducing the new offer THRU (Talk, Help, Relate, Understand). This offer is by Leeds Mind all the information is listed on their website:
Alongside following sites:
MindMate – https://www.mindmate.org.uk
Market Place – https://www.themarketplaceleeds.org.uk
Young Minds – https://youngminds.org.uk
Kooth – www.kooth.com
Mindmoose – https://www.mindmoose.co.uk
ChildLine – www.childline.org.uk/toolbox/for-me
Resist or manage the urge to self-harm
- The Calm Harm app has been customised for young people in Leeds (aged 12 – 25 years). It helps you resist or manage the urge to self-harm; it has a number of activities including breathing techniques to help reduce symptoms of stress and anxiety. mindmate.co.uk
- Safe Zone (11-17 years). The Safe Zone is a crisis service for young people aged 11-17 in Leeds. It’s open every Monday from 7pm to 10pm – the last drop-in to Safe Zone will be 9.30pm.
https://www.themarketplaceleeds.org.uk/safezone/ 0113 819 8189 call before you go.
- The Market Place
The Market Place offers free, confidential support in Leeds 11-25 year olds. Call 0113 246 1659.
18A New Market St, Leeds. themarketplace.org.uk
ChildLine (for under 18s) is there for anyone who needs confidential support. Call anytime or chat online. Call 0800 1111 https://www.childline.org.uk/
Samaritans is available round the clock, every single day of the year, for anyone who is struggling to cope. Call 116 123 https://www.samaritans.org/
Nowhere to sleep?
If you are over 16 and need urgent help with housing you can contact Leeds Housing Options on 0113 2224412
Outside office hours call 07891 273 939
Support for Single Parent families:
www.gingerbread.org.uk A UK charity. Visit the site for expert advice and support.
Support for Children who are Carers for a family member:
Domestic violence support:
Support for those who have experienced sexual abuse in educational setting:
The Department for Education has commissioned the NSPCC to establish a dedicated independent helpline for people who have experienced sexual abuse in educational setting.
The helpline went live on 1 April, and will provide both children and adults who have experienced sexual abuse in schools with support and advice, including onward action such as contacting the police if they wish to. The helpline will also provide support to parents and professionals. Anyone who gets in touch through this dedicated helpline will also be signposted to other relevant support services available, including Childline, which provides ongoing support and counselling to children and young people.
The dedicated and confidential NSPCC helpline – Report Abuse in Education can be reached on 0800 136 663 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Issues with Gas and Electricity Supply
Phone suppliers if you have a prepay meter tell them your self isolating and they will send you 2 weeks worth of gas / electricity or if you have a smart meter they will top you up.
- British Gas 0333 202 9802
- EDF 0333 200 5100
- EON 0345 052 000
- N Power 0800 073 3000
- Scottish Power 0800 027 0072
- SSE 0345 026 2658