Our Values and ethos:
At Springwell Leeds Academy we …
- believe every child can succeed – we find a way
- build strong relationships based on:
- unconditional positive regard
- create a nurturing environment
- take a restorative approach
- develop creative approaches to learning – inventing the way
- place our Academy at the heart of the community
- are outward facing and inward focused
Unconditional Positive Regard
At Springwell Leeds Academy we show unconditional positive regard for our children. That means we treat them with:
- Genuine warmth
- Genuine care
- Flexible consistency – we understand the needs of the individual
- Showing resilience
- Offering multiple fresh starts
- Finding a way that works
- Acting positively
Our mission is to make a positive difference to the life chances of the children and young people who attend our Academy. Through an unreserved positive approach, Springwell Leeds Academy engages students through creative individualised learning which enables them to gain the academic, social, emotional and independence skills to achieve in learning and in life.
Our vision is to provide the best possible care and education that we can for children and young people with Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH) needs. Unconditional Positive Regard is at the centre of what we do and we are creating an academy that is welcoming, caring, safe, warm and believes that all its pupils can be supported and empowered to succeed. We are creating individual and personalised pathways for our students that are built around their varied needs which will help them achieve positive outcomes and prepare them for their onward destinations into continuing education, work or training. In order to achieve this we have developed a curriculum that provides opportunities for academic progression as well as vocational learning, whilst being engaging, creative, and innovative.
We see strong relationships as the key to our success – with students, parents, carers and the wider community and we ensure that our academies are welcoming safe places for children to learn and prosper. We believe in working closely with our families and carers and welcome their support, but also realise that at times they will need our support too. We work closely with other agencies and schools to make sure we do all we can to make learning and life the best it possibly can be.
Read more about our Vision 2025 by following the link below:
We aim to offer all pupils the opportunity to become confident learners in a supportive, nurturing environment. Our vision is to enable pupils to succeed in their learning, improve their self-esteem, develop appropriate behaviour and to be proud of their achievements. Almost all students attend the academy full time, which encourages a sense of belonging and community. Our clear and consistent structure ensures that pupils feel safe and secure and it enables them to take ownership of their learning.
Governors and Leaders at the Academy know that the focus on achievement is one of our strongest features. Experience has proved that students need to feel purposeful about their education so this is what we offer them. The increase in confidence and self-esteem that drives improvements in behaviour is almost always linked to wider successes which are not always academic. It is often difficult to change pupils’ self-perception in a short space of time, but we aim to build their self-worth through a useful, relevant curriculum that develops knowledge, skills and understanding that have a clear value in their eyes and in the eyes of society. We will maintain this focus as we go forward working closely with colleagues from Wellspring Academy Trust and local partners.
What we offer to our Students:
- Small class sizes with about 1 adult to every 3 to 4 children, so that no learner is left without help.
- Caring and committed professionals who can make sure that our students make rapid progress in their learning, through delivering lessons that excite and motivate them.
- A curriculum that is built around the learners needs but can match mainstream expectations at KS2, KS3 and KS4 and will prepare all of our leavers for their next steps into further education or training.
- Specific support based on the needs of each student including interventions to support social, emotional and mental health needs
- Support for students to develop and improve appropriate behaviour